Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lasagna, Modified

I don't have an actual recipe to post today. But I realized it's been over a week since I posted anything so before I get yelled at (you know who you are), I figured I'd better come up with something.

I made my yum-o-licious lasagna on Sunday but did a few things differently. And it came out SO good that I felt the need to share.

First, I made homemade pasta noodles. I used my spinach pasta recipe and just omitted the spinach. I ended up having to add more water; probably about 5 T total for it to come together in a nice dough ball. I also didn't cut it into small noodles (obviously). I just rolled it to a 6 on my pasta roller and then measured the sheets to 13 inches long (the length of my pan). I cut them with my bench scraper.

A little side note here: Pasta will stick together and will not come apart if you lay them on top of each other. And then you will have to start all over again. And you might cry. No reason to elaborate how I know this.

The second thing I did differently was I took my original lasagna recipe and added 5 links of Johnsonville Mild Italian sausage. We just cut it out of the casing and browned it up with our regular ground chuck (which I reduced to 1 pound). I can't say enough about the fabulous flavor this brought to my dish.

VERDICT:
I swear, I don't know why I buy boxed pasta. The homemade stuff is soooo worth the extra effort! And the italian sausage was just amazing. I can't get over the awesome flavor combination that was going on in my mouth.

This is such great comfort food and would make an excellent dish for new neighbors, new parents or just a Sunday dinner!

Quit reading and start cooking. Your tummy will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment