Friday, November 20, 2009

Pear Crisp


I ran across this recipe in my Reader a couple weeks ago and it stuck out in my mind. And by "stuck out in my mind" I mean that I couldn't stop thinking about it for even a second. So I decided that this would make a good dish on my table for Thanksgiving. My in-laws are...well...they just are.

So I tried this the other night for some friends and they loved it! But I felt like the pears could have been sweeter. So I made it a second time. But I took it out the oven too soon and the pears weren't soft enough. Grrr...

Apparently the third time is the charm. I made it again on Monday night and it was PERFECT! The first thing that I think made it perfect was by Monday, the pears I bought on Friday were really ripe and juicy. And I added the vanilla to the filling. Both of these factors made the pears super sweet. I also let it cook for the entire 40 minutes and they were soooo soft. And lastly, I add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in the topping recipe. It only calls for 1/2 teaspoon but honestly, you can always use more cinnamon. I just love, love, love the flavor it added.

The only thing I think I will do differently next week is not put so much topping. This recipe makes a LOT of topping and while it is very good, I like a balance between my fruit and topping. But that's just a personal preference. =)

FILLING INGREDIENTS:
4-5 large pears (I used Bosc)
2/3 c sugar
1/4 t salt
1 t vanilla

TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 c AP flour
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c brown sugar. firmly packed
1 t cinnamon
1/2 c pecans, very finely chopped
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel, core, and dice pears. Place into a bowl and stir together with sugar, salt and vanilla. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Stir together. Drizzle melted butter gradually, stirring with a fork as you go, until all combined.

Pour pears into a greased baking dish; top with crumb topping.

(Like I said earlier, this makes a LOT of topping. I don't recommend adding all of it. Just use your best judgement when you are putting this together.)

Bake for 30 minutes.

Place pan on top rack of oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream

VERDICT:
Well, this will come as no surprise but it is FANTASTIC! The pears were so sweet and carmelized very nicely in their own juice with the help of the sugar.

I am very excited to serve this to my in-laws as I think they will really like it! And you can totally make this with apples for a makeshift apple pie. I bet it would be equally awesome.

Hey, want to know a secret?

I had never eaten a pear before I made this. Needless to say, I'm a fan.

SERVED WITH:
Vanilla Ice Cream

SOURCE:

No comments:

Post a Comment