Friday, November 6, 2009

Spider Web Pumpkin Cheesecake


Mr. Shoe and I decided to throw an impromptu get together at our house for Halloween. And while candy is all good, I wanted something pumpkiney (is that a word?) to serve also. When I saw this recipe, I had to try it.

I did change a few things from the original recipe. The biggest thing probably being the sour cream mixture that I concocted. Several reviews of the recipe mentioned that this tasted well, like sour cream. And I wanted it to be a sweet treat!

INGREDIENTS:
18 Oreo cookies, finely crushed (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 t + 2 T butter, melted & separated
3 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 c sugar + 1 T sugar, separated
15 oz pumpkin
1 T pumpkin pie spice*
3 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 t vanilla extract
1 square Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate

*I didn't have pumpkin pie spice and didn't feel like going to the store so I mixed 2 t cinnamon, 1 t ground ginger & 1 t ground nutmeg and just measured my 1 T from there. You can adjust to your liking. If anything, add more cinnamon.

Preheat oven to 350 if using a silver springform pan or 325 if using a dark nonstick springform pan.

Mix cookie crumbs and 2 T butter; press firmly onto bottom of pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then set aside.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice; mix well. (I should note here that I think if I had added a little less pumpkin, I would have liked the texture a tad bit more. It was still great but I found that all that pumpkin took away from the flavor of the cream cheese. Next time, I will add a little bit of pumpkin at a time and mix as I go to ensure a better consistency.)

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour mixture over crust.

Bake 50-55 min or until center is almost set; cool slightly.

While that's cooling...mix your sour cream, sugar and vanilla with a whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved and the sour cream has a hint of a sweeter taste.

Carefully spread sour cream mixture over top of cheesecake. Run a warm knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake (don't remove from springform pan yet).

Place chocolate and 1 t butter in small microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 30 sec increments, stirring each 30 sec, until chocolate is completely melted.

Get a small ziploc bag and pour your chocolate in it. Trying to get as much as possible to one of the corners. Snip a very, very tiny piece off of the corner.

VERY SLOWLY, drizzle the chocolate over the cheesecake in spiral pattern. Starting at the center of cheesecake, pull a toothpick through the lines from the center of the cheesecake to the outside edge of the cheesecake to resemble a spider's web. Refrigerate at least 4 hours; preferably overnight.

VERDICT:
OH YUM! This was sooooo good. I am seriously in love with the pumpkin flavor and the texture was very creamy. I still think I would back off the pumpkin a little bit next time but this cheesecake is a winner. And would be great for Thanksgiving! Minus the spider web of course. =)

SOURCE:
Kraft Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment